I looked in our freezer for something to thaw out and spied some short ribs, that’s when I knew right then, that I was going to make a delicious crock pot asian style short ribs recipe! It was meant to be, when I realized I already had everything in the pantry and refrigerator that I needed for the recipe! JACKPOT!!!
Crock pot Asian Style Short Ribs
I fixed a different recipe of short ribs a few years ago and they were mighty tasty, so I had remembered how delicious they were, thinking, surely this recipe is just as good! It wasn’t just as good, it was better! Scrumdilyicious, I say! Another bonus, is the use of the crock pot! This is one invention that I wish I had created. I use my crock pot ALL THE TIME… It’s a no-brainer to use when you are busy with young children, let alone 3 of them. I have minimal time to cook, in between being a referee, something getting broke, or the youngest asking me to hold her. I rely heavily on my crock pot and typically use it every single week!
This recipe was incredibly easy to put together, and I am glad that I have a large crock pot, because there wasn’t hardly any room left in it. A 6 qt would be fine, but if you have an even larger one like 7 or 8 qt would be better. Here are some good choices to choose from. If you happen to have an instant pot, you can do this in about 45 minutes! This one gets unbelievable reviews, in case you’re in the market for one. I think I’ll hint this as a gift, myself, for Christmas!! I have been wanting one for a long time
This would be delicious with mashed cauliflower under them for the healthier version, or brown rice if you dont mind the carbs. Most of the time for dinner, we will skip the carbs at night and pair a protein with a vegetable and call it good.
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce(I substituted for these Liquid Aminos)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 5 pound bone-in beef short ribs, cut crosswise into 2″ pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and red pepper flakes, if using.
- Place short ribs into a 6-qt slow cooker. Stir in soy sauce mixture until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.*
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Stir in mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for an additional 30 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley and sesame seeds, if desired